Drums have been around for centuries, but they didn't become popular in Western music until the early 20th century. There are a few reasons for this:
• The development of the drum kit. Before the early 20th century, drums were typically used as solo instruments or in small ensembles. But in the early 1900s, drummers began to experiment with different ways of combining drums to create a more versatile and powerful sound. This led to the development of the drum kit, which is now the standard configuration for drums in Western music.
• The rise of jazz. Jazz is a genre of music that emerged in the early 20th century, and it made extensive use of drums. The fast tempos and complex rhythms of jazz required a drummer who could keep up and improvise, and this helped to solidify the role of the drummer as a vital part of the band.
• The invention of amplification. Before the invention of amplification, drums were limited by their volume. They could only be heard in small venues, and they were often drowned out by other instruments. But with the invention of amplification, drums could be heard in large venues, and this made them much more viable for popular music.
These factors all contributed to the rise of drums in popularity in Western music. Today, drums are an essential part of almost every genre of popular music, and they continue to be a popular instrument for both amateur and professional musicians.
Here are some additional reasons why drums became so popular:
• Drums are versatile. They can be used to create a wide variety of sounds, from the deep, booming sound of a bass drum to the sharp, piercing sound of a snare drum. This versatility makes them a valuable asset to any band.
• Drums are expressive. A good drummer can use their drums to convey a wide range of emotions, from excitement to sadness to anger. This expressiveness makes drums a powerful tool for communicating with an audience.
• Drums are fun to play. There's something inherently satisfying about hitting things with sticks, and drums are the perfect instrument for that. This makes drums a great way to let off steam and have fun.
For all of these reasons, drums have become one of the most popular instruments in the world. They're a versatile, expressive, and fun instrument that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.